Sunday, July 25, 2010

Unwanted Hitchhiker

Because life can never be dull in our household, the kids and I had an adventure with an unwanted hitchhiker Saturday.

Mark, Jocelyn and I went to the swim meet at Turtle Rock around 7:30am so I was up early packing the car with towels, chairs and food. We noticed some yucky poop on the floor of our garage but assumed it must be from a neighborhood dog.

After the swim meet ended at 1:30pm, Mark asked if we could go to Yogurtland for a treat. While climbing out of the car, Mark said to me "Mommy, there is a rat in the car." I said, "Oh come on" and didn't believe him. Then he said, "I'm serious! I can see its long tail sticking out from under the car seat!" I got out of the car and looked at the passenger seat Mark was referring to. Sure enough...there was one long ugly tail sticking out!! I pulled back the seat to see what it was (assuming it was a rat), but found another critter instead (to be revealed below). It must have smelled the remnants of donuts the kids left in the car, because it was stuck inside a plastic donut bag. I tried to knock it out of the car using a pool toy (what else do you have when you're a mom??), but it scampered underneath the driver seat instead and then climbed up into the wiring.

Now panicked that I would never be able to drive my car with a rat-like critter right near my legs, I called Boyd. He called Irvine Animal Control. Within 30 minutes, Irvine's Finest arrived to de-critter our car......


And look what he pulled out!!



A big, fat, donut-fed opposum!! This is the same critter that has been eating Boyd's vegetables from our garden.



Off he goes to the Animal Slammer....



Boyd and I spent three hours Saturday afternoon cleaning out our garage and finding remnants of Mr. Opposum. He must have been living in our garage at least a day or two. The Irvine Officer told us that based on his large size, this critter most likely worked alone so we hopefully will not be finding family members any time soon.

This was a story the kids were all too excited to share at the Stake Pioneer Day picnic Saturday evening. Brent even told it to our home teacher when he visited today. Brent thinks it's the "coolest" thing that has happened to our family in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers