Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Favorite Runs - Peters Canyon Trail

This morning I ran one of my favorite runs -- the Peters Canyon Trail. Finishing the run with a 1/2 mile dash up Citrus Ranch hill makes the total run 7.5 miles.

There are several other runs inside Peters Canyon Regional Park, but I call those the Peters Canyon Loop (extra 5 miles), the Peters Canyon Hills (extra 2-3 miles but feels like extra 6 because of all the steep hills), and the Big Red Hill Run (same distance but twice as painful...you'll see why below). Below are the highlights and beautiful sights I see on this run in the peaceful mornings.

Running by Peters Canyon Elementary school garden.

The million-dollar mansions lining the jogging paths. Beautiful homes...beautiful prices.


The Peters Canyon area before the start of the trail. I often see coyotes here. It is very cool and refreshing in the morning (and so quiet!).
Here we are at the trail head. Lots of mountain bikers ride these trails.


The oh-so-smelly latrines by the trail head. I am amazed when I see people actually go in & out of these. But Orange County Parks does keep them cleaned and serviced regularly, so perhaps they are less scary than they smell. (I'll never know!)

Trail to the mini-grove...
A modern architecture house that backs onto the trail...very pretty. I watched it built over the past two years. It has a steel frame and industrial doors (like at a school).

The last uphill stretch....got to run to the fence...


Yea! Gotta touch the fence!! This is the 3.5 mile turn-around. From here you can start the Loop trail and add another fun 5 miles to the run (but not that often!)



Beautiful morning sunrise over Peters Canyon reservoir (but I have never gone into the brush because lots of rattlesnakes bed near the water).



Big Red Hill....straight up and so named for the red dirt. I have never been able to RUN up this hill. I usually make it half way before my legs burn too much. You can several people on the hill using it for their morning work-out.

The mini-grove....a sweet sight along this peaceful trail. This is also the 5 mile turn-around.


Sunrise along the jogging trails back through Tustin Ranch.....


Pretty bougainvillea growing along the trail sides....

Top off the end of the run with a thigh-burning jog up Citrus Ranch Park hill to the overlook. Those are lemon trees in the groves.


View from the top of Citrus Ranch hill! Isn't it beautiful! Just below is Tustin Ranch golf course (about $75 for a round on a weekday, $150 on the weekends). From this hill, you can see all the way to Newport Beach. A tiny white dot in the distance is the Newport Beach temple (but I can't get a closer view from my camera). This is actually a pretty clear morning so it is nice to be able to see this far. The brown haze in the sky is the "marine layer" that usually comes clear up to our foothills and makes the morning skies grey.


Yes, I finished another long run!


At the finish line! The STOP sign behind our house! It feels so good to reach the end!


My private bathroom at the park. I go in here to wash my hands and freshen up at the end of each run. Then I stretch my legs at the park. It is the perfect finish to a nice run!


Done for another day! Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers